#1 portions of vegetables per serving
- 1 cup quinoa, approx. 200g (carb)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock (approx. 375ml)
- 120g vine ripened cherry tomatoes, halved (carb)
- ½ cucumber, chopped (carb)
- 4 spring onions (carb)
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ small bunch fresh mint, chopped
- ½ small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Optional: add your favourite white fish to include protein in the meal
For the dressing;
- Juice 1 lemon (carb)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (fat)
- Salt & pepper
Thoroughly rinse the quinoa under running water in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter soapy tasting coating. Then place in saucepan and add 1 ½ cups of cold water and a teaspoon or two of your favourite vegetable bouillon (I love Marigold). Bring to the boil, then lower the heat to simmer and cover the pot and cook for approx 15 mins until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa seeds have sprouted – look at their little curly tails! Turn off the heat, and place a piece of paper towel between the pot and lid to absorb any excess water and let it stand for 5-10 mins before giving it a fluff with a fork and leave to cool slightly.
While the quinoa is cooling, prepare the other ingredients and mix together in a large salad bowl. Adding the dressing last and adding seasoning to taste.
TIP: This can either be served as a meal in itself, or makes a great accompaniment with chicken, fish or falafel.