This is the recipe for our famous “wheat, dairy and syrup but NOT taste free vegan gingerbread”.
They are delicious and make GREAT gifts!
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Makes: 25 gingerbread people
- 125g butter (or soya spread if you are vegan)
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 325g spelt flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 inch grated fresh ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Line baking trays with baking parchment. Melt the spread, sugar and nectar in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.
2. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl and stir the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of about 5mm. Cut using christmas cookie cutters. Place the shapes onto the lined baking trays and bake, in batches, for 9-10 minutes until light golden brown.
4. Remove from the oven.
5. When completely cool they can be decorated with ready to roll icing cut with the same cookie cutters and placed on top .
The gingerbread biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks